Friday, October 01, 2004

H and the kids are down in Oregon for the weekend, at Honeyman State Park on the coast, with the big sand dunes and the yurts. This is the first year I've not gone with them, and it's because the trip was planned for later in Sept instead of earlier, and since Fall quarter has started up I couldn't take the time off from my studies.

We could have gone down for a quick two day stay but that's a lot of driving for that short of time - not worth it to me. So H and the kids went down yesterday (Thu) and are coming back Monday. But what's cool is that Heather Dillon and her daughters Erin and Brenna went down with H & co. So they got to split the driving and the kids have playmates for the drive down and they'll get to share the experience of the dunes and meet their cousins and H will have a friend with her.

Jon and Chad and I are going up to Langley, BC to the Colossus theater tomorrow. It's a huge theater with Imax screens, great sound, great seats, and it looks like a giant UFO has landed on it from the outside. Inside it has a bar upstairs.

We're going to see Shaun of the Dead, which is in Seattle, but not B'ham.

Well, classes are going well. Turned in my first exercise for 568 today. On Sunday I'll be starting the write up for my group's first assignment, worth 25% of our grade! That's for 510. Keeping up with the lectures and readings so far, and more importantly I'm understanding what we're learning.

Got to see the flyer of the RNC report back I'm going to be doing. Pretty cool. Funny that I'm listed as a librarian. I'm both nervous and looking forward to it. I just want to make sure I do a good job - I need to write up what I want to talk about, and write an article about NY and Rad Ref for the ISchool's Silverfish.

And Paul asked me to co-write an article with him about soldier's blogs and other blogs coming out of Iraq! I was excited and flattered to be asked. I think it will be fun to write with him and cool to get published.

No comments: